Updates, Sea fever and the never ending cold.

The week so far has mostly been admin based due to the longest cold in history still hanging around!
I don't actually feel like I've been working to 100% full ability for awhile now, maybe its just me and not the cold!
Anyway my main piques of interest at the moment are the Isle of Wight greetings cards which I'll finally be picking up from the printers tomorrow! And I've been working on something for the annual Quay Arts Open Exhibition which closes at the end of the week, so I've been out and about taking pictures for reference as you can see below (and blowing my nose like it's going out of fashion).


The theme of the exhibition is 'I must go down to the seas again' based on the poem Sea Fever by John Masefield (full poem below). It evokes passionate emotions about the sea which has inspired me to get out in the wind and rain to capture some rough water!

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied; 
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.


I will post the final artwork for it in due course, meanwhile here are some images I've photographed to get a feel for what I've been working on. I will also post a proper announcement when I have the greetings cards - Can't wait to see them!






All photos are my own and were taken at Freshwater Bay on the Isle of Wight, UK.