Introducing... foodie February! A daily art challenge for 28 days!

For the month of February I have set myself a challenge of painting food every day! Food illustration is a subject I touched on last week in my post about intentions for this year. High on my list is to paint more food so I thought what a better way then to get cracking straight away and explore this subject each day. It is partly inspired by Inktober a daily challenge each day in the month of October to use ink each day either from a list of suggested topics or anything you want.

My previous experiences of painting food have been quite varied from creating artwork for Thompson's Restaurant on the Isle of Wight (click here for the link to read in more detail about this work) to Illustrating festive treats for the winter issue of Taste of the Wight magazine to a personal project called the fave food blog where people could submit their favourite food which I would then Illustrate.

My aim is to explore each day using whichever materials I fancy but I imagine it will mostly be my trusty watercolours! I will also try and stick to a time frame each day as suggested by Illustrator Fiona Clabon who for past month has made an amazing collage illustration every day! I would like each day to be varied, somedays painting a meal another day perhaps just an apple! I would also like to bring some Isle of Wight ingredients in as I want to buy as much locally as I can and I'd love to champion this even more so.

I'm really looking forward to getting started on this project and if anyone has any other suggestions of recipes, ingredients or anything else please do let me know! Follow #foodiefebruary on twitter, Instagram and Facebook to follow what I get up to!

Hot dog. Image from a previous project exploring people's favourite foods

Whitebait. Image from a previous project exploring people's favourite foods

Cambozola cheese. Image from a previous project exploring people's favourite foods
'Chard' Artwork for Thompson's restaurant, Isle of Wight.

'Partridge' Artwork for Thompson's restaurant, Isle of Wight.

'Wild mushrooms' Artwork for Thompson's restaurant, Isle of Wight.